Scott Mathieson was called up from Class AAA Lehigh Valley to add another arm to the Philadelphia pitching staff.
Oswalt missed one start cleaning his residence and spending time with his family after tornados ripped through the South. He just returned to the team Thursday after eight days tending to personal business and was scheduled to start Saturday, but he was shut down after reporting discomfort in the back.
"The soreness is such that we want to be cautious with it," general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. "We just felt like we were putting him in danger if we throw him out there and pitch him (Saturday)."
The good news is the Phils likely will backdate Oswalt's trip to the DL, making him eligible to return Thursday, an off day for the Phils.
Other Injury News...
- Placido Polanco (sore right big toe) left the May 6 game. X-rays were negative, but he is doubtful for the May 7 game.
- Carlos Ruiz (sore lower back) left the April 27 game and hasn't played since. He might land on the disabled list.
- Chase Utley (right knee tendinitis) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 22. He didn't appear in an exhibition game this spring. He was fielding and running as of April 21. He played in what GM Ruben Amaro called "semi-simulated games" May 1 and May 3. Utley started playing in extended spring training games on Saturday.
- Joe Blanton (right elbow impingement) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 24. He threw on consecutive days May 2 and 3 and threw another bullpen session on Saturday. It's possible that Blanton will come off the DL and start on Monday.
- Jose Contreras (elbow strain) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 22. He began a throwing program by playing long-toss May 5. He is expected to be sidelined until mid-to-late May.
- Brad Lidge (right posterior rotator cuff strain) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 25, and he was transferred to the 60-day DL on April 29. He began a throwing program April 30. He's out until sometime around the All-Star break.