In 2007, Jimmy Rollins put on a display. Both offensively and defensively, Rollins was at the very top of his game in 2007 and before all is said and done, the Gold Glove Award may be just the first of a lot of hardware that Rollins could walk away with.
Rollins played in all 162 games this season and set a number of personal highs and also set a number of Major League records along the way. Rollins led all shortstops with a .985 fielding percentage and routinely made highlight reels with his range.
Rowand has shown his willingness to splat his body on an outfield fence to make a play throughout his stay in Philadelphia. Last season, he suffered a broken nose and cuts to his face on a play at Citizens Bank Park. While his defensive skills aren't the first thing that stands out about Rowand's skills, Rowand led all center fielders with 11 assists in 2007. In the Gold Glove Award voting, which is done by coaches and managers in each league, Rowand tied with Jeff Francoeur in the voting for outfielders.
The rest of the National League Gold Glove Awards went to:
- Russell Martin, catcher, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Derrek Lee, first base, Chicago Cubs
- Orlando Hudson, second base, Arizona Diamondbacks
- David Wright, third base, New York Mets
- Carlos Beltran, outfield, New York Mets
- Andruw Jones, outfield, Atlanta Braves
- Jeff Francoeur, outfield, Atlanta Braves
- Greg Maddux, pitcher, San Diego Padres