Maybin, 22, said he hurt the shoulder in early August but decided to play through the discomfort.
"I'm looking to returning fully healthy and to a very promising 2010 season," he said.
The Marlins certainly hope so. With Hermida gone, Maybin will be counted on even more. If Maybin has a setback in spring, that could force the Marlins to keep Chris Coghlan in left field, move right fielder Cody Ross to center and find someone to play right.
Maybin was the starting center fielder last year out of camp but was demoted to New Orleans in early May. For the Marlins, he batted .293 in September with three home runs, 10 RBI and 19 runs.
- Chris Coghlan topped Philadelphia LHP J.A. Happ to win the NL Rookie of the Year award. Coghlan finished sixth in the league with a .321 average, and he had 162 hits and 84 runs. He collected 113 hits after the All-Star break, more than any player in baseball over that span, hitting .372.
- The team received two minor league pitchers from the Red Sox in a trade for RF Jeremy Hermida. LHP Hunter Jones will compete for a bullpen spot in spring training. LHP Jose Alvarez probably will start the year at High-A Jupiter.
- RHP Hayden Penn will get another chance to win a spot on the pitching staff. His contract was selected from New Orleans on November 9. Penn went 1-0 with a 7.77 ERA in 16 appearances for the Marlins last year. He was on the opening-day roster before being sent down to New Orleans. With Penn's arrival, Florida's 40-man roster stood at 34.
- The Marlins admitted that they essentially gave up on the underachieving Hermida, the organization's top draft pick in 2002 who was traded to the Red Sox earlier this month.
"Given his talent level, I think the expectation was for more. Hopefully he'll realize (his potential) elsewhere," baseball operations president Larry Beinfest said.
- The team completed its coaching-staff hires. Randy St. Claire replaces Mark Wiley as pitching coach, Dave Collins replaces Andy Fox as first base coach, Josue Espada replaces Bo Porter as third base coach, and Reid Cornelius replaces Steve Foster as bullpen coach. Espada will work with infielders and Collins with outfielders. Returning are hitting coach Jim Presley and bench coach Carlos Tosca.